Breakfast is my favourite part of a meal. For me breakfast is like that perfect beginning to a perfect day. The way a good breakfast can make my day, only a great vacation comes anywhere close to that feeling.
However, thanks to the hurried busy work life of a weekday, all that I can offer myself during those rushed hours is toast and butter. Not that I hate it, I think a well toasted bread when topped with butter makes a perfect comfort food on go.
Come weekends and my heart crave for something more but that is when my lazy brain whispers “Why bother. Take it easy, its weekend”. And either my heart or my head wins.
This weekend I decided to listen to my brain and heart at the same time and come up with a yummy breakfast which can be made quickly, easily and would make me feel the weekend happiness. End result?
A simple tomato mushroom open sandwich:
- One medium fresh red tomato
- Two-three big button mushrooms (if you have medium or small button mushrooms, maybe you would need to keep few more handy, in case you run short of them)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Dried basil or parsley (you can always go for fresh if you are lucky)
- Bread slices (type of bread you ask?? One which will make you more happy I say J )
- Slice tomato in round slices and slice mushroom in long slices
- Spread butter, a little generously darlings, on the bread slices
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt, pepper and dried basil/parsley
- Put tomato and mushroom slices on the bread randomly
- Put a cheese slice on top and sprinkle basil/parsley
- Put the sandwiches in the oven for toast
- Toast the sandwich till the cheese starts to melt, but don’t over toast it as bread will turn hard
- Take it out and enjoy it with your favourite dip or sauce or just a humble cup of cold coffee
Note: To add more kick to your sandwich you may replace tomatoes with sundried tomatoes and add olives or jalapenos. Since I love my breakfast sandwich with less complication and simple flavours I preferred to keep it basic.